Legal Services Fellow at Nilima Studio Correctional Home Fellowship 2022
Studio Nilima: Collaborative Network for Research and Capacity Building (Studio Nilima), is an action research collective based in Guwahati, Assam, working at the intersections of law, policy and governance that invites applications for the position of Legal Service Fellow for the Studio Nilima Correctional Home Fellowship Program 2022 and join the team working at Pratidhwani.
About Pratidhwani (the echo)
• Pratidhwani (the Echo) is a central initiative of Studio Nilima, which engages with reformatories in Assam. Since 2017, Studio Nilima has been at the forefront of bridging the access to justice gap for marginalized and vulnerable inmates by conducting routine visits to Assam’s reformatories. Through these visits, we have tried to understand and improve prison conditions through dialogues with the actors who form the prison ecosystem and support efforts to reintegrate prisoners into society. Much of our intervention in reformatories has involved providing effective legal representation to inmates and also pursuing strategic litigation to address structural deficiencies within the reformatory apparatus.
Job name: Legal service officer
Remuneration: Compensation for the position(s) must match the Candidate’s work experience.
Essential qualification and experience
• An LL.B./BALL.B. degree from a university recognized by the Bar Council of India.
• Registration with any state bar council.
• Experience in litigation of at least 2-3 year(s).
• Fluency in spoken and written English. Applicants with an intermediate command of spoken and written Assamese will be given preference.
Responsibilities and Expectations
• Drafting criminal appeals, reviewing motions, writing motions, demands, affidavits and other legal documents.
• Assist senior lawyers.
• Formulate and develop legal intervention strategies.
• Accompany the team on regular visits to correctional facilities.
• Establish ongoing communication with stakeholders within the prison ecosystem such as officers, inmates, legal aid authorities, etc.
• Contribute to Studio Nilima’s research and knowledge production, as well as to the organization of workshops and conferences.
• Any other work that could be entrusted to them in connection with Studio Nilima’s mandate.
Conditions of employment and remuneration
• Position(s) are full-time and based in Guwahati.
• The scholarship period will be from June 2022 to May 2023.
How to register?
• Interested applicants should write to Ms. Abantee Dutta, Co-Founder and Director, Studio Nilima at [email protected] and or [email protected]with a statement of purpose (less than 1500 words) and their CVs no later than April 15, 2022.